Or, why I will weigh at least 3000 pounds by the time I get tenure.
- Fresh fruit (eaten in highly nontrivial quantities): grapefruit, watermelon, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, mangoes. Abnormally high tolerance for citrus (will eat plain lemons and limes with no problem).
- Vegetables: boiled broccoli, corn on the cob, avocado, raw baby carrots, cucumber, mashed potatoes, cherry tomatoes
- Peanuts, cashews, walnuts
- Beverages: fruit smoothies (mango, raspberry, banana), sparkling grape juice, coconut juice, iced tea, iced coffee, Hong Kong style bubble tea, fresh OJ, fresh lemonade, beer, champagne. Always looking for new and exotic fruit drinks. Not big on water. Trying to eliminate corn-syrup sodas.
- Steak, pot roast, burgers, pastrami
- Fresh fish of all kinds: salmon, mahi-mahi, halibut, tuna (not shellfish)
- Lots of soup: chicken-noodle, beef-vegetable, potato, chili…
- Breakfast: egg-and-cheese sandwich, veggie omelet, french toast, waffles with fresh fruit, Count Chocula (with whole milk, of course)
- Italian: eggplant parm, spaghetti with meatballs, linguini with salmon, cheese ravioli, garlic bread, pizza with onions and mushrooms (if that counts as Italian)
- Indian: samosas, garlic naan, numerous variations on lamb & rice, gulab jamun, chai
- (American) Chinese: egg drop soup, crunchy noodles, mu shu chicken
- Thai: cashew chicken, mango and sticky rice, Thai iced tea
- Japanese: edamame, tuna sashimi with wasabi, udon noodles, teriyaki, beef sukiyaki. Also all sorts of junk food (mochi ice cream, Hi-Chew…)
- Greek and Middle Eastern: falafel, pita with hummus, baklava
- Jewish: latkes, fried matzo, fried artichokes, gefilte with horseradish (really — it’s good!), bagels with cream cheese and whitefish (not so much lox), beef brisket
- Russian: borscht, potato pierogies
- Ethiopian: injera bread (the “edible tablecloth”), Tej honey-wine
- American Thanksgiving dinner: turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie — any time of year.
- Sweets: candy apples, Jelly Bellys (especially licorice and coconut), Mentos, Tic-Tacs, peppermint patties, Charleston Chew, Peanut Chews (as mentioned earlier), Peanut M&M’s, cherry Starburst, saltwater taffy, fudge, funnel cake, smores, Australian candied apricots, Turkish Delight, Hot Tamales, Mint Milano, soft chocolate-chip cookies, chocolate-dipped strawberries, chocolate pudding, chocolate mousse, warm chocolate cake, chocolate-covered Rice Krispies squares, sugar cubes, pure granulated sugar straight out of the bag… mmmmmmmm….
- Ice cream (obviously a separate category): Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Breyer’s coffee or mint chocolate chip, ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sundaes (the hot fudge is crucial — not just chocolate syrup), banana splits, fruit sorbet, gelati (ice cream + water ice), fresh-made gelato, Freeze-Dried Astronaut Ice Cream (found in science museum gift shops)
Go ahead and list your own favorites in the comments section, together with your research area (or line of work if you have a real job). Then we’ll see if there’s any correlation between the two. See, this isn’t procrastination: it’s serious research.
Update (1/23): I finally fixed the time stamps in the comments section. Unfortunately, this will cause comments to appear out-of-order during an 8-hour window.